I Scream, You Scream
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!
You might have noticed that San Antonio is officially in the middle of a heat wave, which makes it a great time to remember that July is National Ice Cream Month. When life gives you a week of weather over 100 degrees, it's time to break out the ice cream.
As Americans, we reportedly consume about 23 gallons of ice cream a year, on average, according to the International Dairy Foods Association, so you know this frozen treat is a favorite. While there are plenty of great, local spots to hit up for your next ice cream treat, we also have some resources to help you make your own ice cream, or ice cream dessert. And making your own is a great, family-friendly, stay-at-home activity.
You can watch this fun, SciShowKids YouTube video about making your own ice cream, and we also have lots of books to help you explore the exciting world of ice cream making:
- How to Make Ice Cream by Nicole Watson is a basic guide to ice cream making with recipes for over 50 different flavors, broken down into easy-to-follow steps
- The Artisanal Kitchen: Perfect Homemade Ice Cream by Jeni Britton Bauer features recipes for more adventurous palettes, as well as frozen yogurt recipes
- Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream Desserts, also by Bauer, has recipes for all kinds of ice cream desserts, including cookies and cakes
- Vegan Ice Cream by Jeff Rogers includes more than 90 all-vegan recipes
- Ice Creams, Water Ices and Frozen Puddings by Sarah Tyson Heston Rorer was first published in 1913 and features amazing, vintage recipes for all kinds of cool treats.
BiblioTech Public Library also has many, many books featuring ice cream. In How Did that Get to My Table: Ice Cream, young readers can learn about how commercial ice cream gets made. The Boxcar Children book The Ice Cream Mystery is a fun, mystery read, and we even have comics featuring ice cream, like Jughead and Archie Comics: You Scream for Ice Cream.
I Scream! Ice Cream! is a classic read-a-loud in many households. Speaking of read-a-louds, check out this Storytime is Funtime! version of Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream on YouTube:
Whether you are making ice cream, making an ice cream dessert, or just enjoying a pint of your favorite flavor, be sure to enjoy National Ice Cream Month to its fullest with your BiblioTech Public Library card! (Need to register for a card? You can register online in two minutes and have access to everything immediately!)